Passion

By Melissa - Friday, November 14, 2008


Thanks Cui Lin =)

Ten years ago, if you were to ask me what my passion was, I’d probably stare blankly into your eyes or give you the ‘I-want-to-grow-up-get-married-and-stay-in-a-house-with-white-picket-fence’ answer.

But, if you were to ask me right now, without hesitation, I would zero in on your irises and say, ‘Performing’.

To put it mildly, singing gives me the freedom of expression. I wish I could put it in a less-cheesy expression but I believe I have found myself. After years of self-discovery, I have finally found my true calling.

When I say performing, I do not mean it in a negative connotation. Certainly to have your singing and music have a profound impact on people would be awesome but often, fame and trueness to one’s passion seldom go hand-in-hand.

Don’t get me wrong, I have been singing in church for 5.5years and I do not regard my service to the House of God as an act. With all that I am and all that I have, I can only give glory back to the Giver of All Things. There is no way that I could acquire the talents in me by my own accord and with heartfelt gratitude, I thank the One above.

Albeit, I have to admit I am a music connoisseur and not ashamed of it. I do not profess to be a professional, on the contrary indeed. The satire of all is that I am not a musical genius, I can hardly play the piano. But unapologetically, I can tell you that I have the ability to determine whether or not a person has what it takes.

Hence, after a whole lot of observation, I made a list of tips for performing ( includes worship leading and etc.. ).

1. Don’t be anxious.
This is the first cardinal rule. Frazzled nerves, stomach in knots, clammy palms and jittery nerves are not your best buddies and should not at any point accompany you onstage. Get rid of them. It will take some practice but overcome this and you will very well be on your way to be very successful.

2. Make eye contact.
Look at the audience, don’t gaze upward to the skies hoping to see...Goodness knows what you want to see for no one can relate to you and to the song you’re singing when you don’t look at them. This is something very subtle but it carries a whole lot of weight on your stint.

3. Sing TO the audience, not sing AT the audience.
Enough said.

4. Posture.
- Don’t swing like those palm trees ( coconut trees in Malaysia ) on the beach. None will appreciate the fluidity of your body, trust me.
- Don’t imitate the wax figures in Madam Tussaud’s. Move to the beat of the song, again I stress, SUBTLY.
- Don’t fling your skull out by nodding your head so hard, it looks like your head is going to fall right off. A dislocated neck might keep you off your big break for quite sometime.

5. Know your material.
You have to know the song through and through, all of it. How do you expect to lead when you do not know your material? You would only be wasting your effort and the efforts of your band.

6. Choose the right song for your vocal range.
You have to know your vocal abilities and then choose the right song to accommodate it. Don’t exert your vocal cords. Some of the songs sound nice on the disc, but sometimes it is too big of a song for you. In other words, don’t strain the eardrums of your listeners by attempting to emulate it.

There you go, I have poured out my heart and experiences into this. I have let you know ( in my opinion ), the best way to deliver your performance.






Take your pick to listen, or not...








  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments