At Home: How I Became A Flowers + Other Pretty Things Person

By Melissa - Sunday, November 01, 2020

It all began when a friend brought over a bouquet of white garlands as a gift for hosting dinner. For an arbitrary “no-flowers” person, it could have been the carefully crimped matte wrapping, the delicate bow hemming everything together, or the minimalistic blanc petals - for the very first time, I actually liked them. 

After fastidiously unwrapping the blossoms, I liked them even more in my makeshift vase (recycled passata bottle, now permanently reassigned).


Days later, they wilted, as flowers do. Sometime during my multiple visits, I started to miss how the spry stalks livened up my intentionally sparse bathroom.

Then, I did the unthinkable - I went to a florist and bought more.

Even more unlikely, I have taken to naming my plants. Yes, plants with an ‘s’. What was initially a solo piece grew to be a duo, and in recent weeks, a trio.

Clockwise from left to right: Sophie (nicknamed Soph); Reginald (Reggie, for short); Figaro (affectionately called Figgy).

In a seemingly endless stretch of indoor confinement, flowers and other (previously dubbed as) “pretty things” turned out to be a balm for uncertain times. They serve a higher purpose - more than aesthetics, they breathe life to a space. Where food and cooking have helped me escape and transported me to corners of the world I have as well as yet to traverse, flowers and other “pretty things” are reminders to live now and revel in the present.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments