What My Accident In The Kitchen Taught Me About Grace + Gratitude

By Melissa - Friday, July 23, 2021

A vase of blooming tulips to brighten the mood, instead of my sutured thumb.

Four nights ago, while preparing the mise en place for lunch the next day, I accidentally sliced my left thumb while cubing the carrots. With heroically swift movements, I yanked off several kitchen towels and applied pressure on the wound. Within seconds, the paper towels were red-soaked and I knew the cut was a tragically deep one.

The damage incurred three whopping shots (one tetanus jab and two painfully-directed local anaesthesia jabs) and one full-blown stitch. I am not thankful the accident happened. But, I am thankful for the cascade of grace during the hour-and-a-half episode. Here are the words, straight from my Gratitude Journal:

  • I am thankful for my uncle's doctor friend, who took a look at my wound via WhatsApp and insisted that I visited a doctor at once to get it stitched up (I was planning to brave it out and let it heal on its own - I later found out the laceration extended to muscle and was worse than I deemed it to be).
  • I am thankful to have made it on time to the clinic during lockdown, where most clinics were already closed (it was 8:30pm when we called and we arrived in the nick of time, just before their 9:00pm closing).
  • I am thankful the cut did not chisel off my nail and the force of the gash was not strong enough to sever my thumb. This may be a temporary inconvenience, but I am filled with gratitude in knowing that it will not cause lasting impairment.

Even in our failings and carelessness, there is always grace - for healing, for redemption, and for scars (for they are stories of triumph over tragedy). For that, I am grateful.

Also, note to self - don't accidentally carve yourself again.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments