Birthday Month: A Look-Back

By Melissa - Thursday, May 06, 2021

 


Thessaly La Force on Edith Wharton’s solo journey through Morocco in 1917 - “She belongs to a small canon of great explorers who disobeyed the notion that they needed to follow the rules and stay put. Instead, she set forth - the ochre-coloured dust of the desert swirling past her - and she expected the rest of us to catch up.”

It has been two years since my first (and last, for now) birthday trip. It meant celebrating both subsequent birthdays amidst a global pandemic, a time unlike any other. It meant staying home with loved ones instead of gallivanting with strangers. It meant finding joy in little things instead of seeking thrill in grand adventures. Ultimately, it meant learning contentment wherever I am and whatever I am doing.

Here is a look-back on this year’s birthday month, one filled with life-giving conversations, heart-melting gifts, and love-affirming time together.

Home for eight days, thanks to a week-long work shoot. One of my childhood best friends stayed with me throughout and it was probably the longest uninterrupted stretch of time we had together in a decade. We talked, shared, laughed, cried, giggled, dined, and explored - most of all, we created more memories together.



Quality time with one of the dearest persons in my life - my uncle - at a newly opened vegan establishment.


Early birthday lunch treat at one of Asia’s Best restaurants, Gen, by my lovely friend, T.


Years later, he still remembers my favourite baklava picks from my favourite store and had them delivered to my doorstep, even while we are oceans apart.


Made my own birthday cake and I loved every bite.


Birthday morning with the little terror sleeping ever so soundly. 



Spoiled with birthday blooms and homemade lemon-blueberry cupcakes (not pictured), thanks to my sweet friend, R.



Perfectly done steak and champagne (fancy!) for Fridates at home (birthday edition) with one of my favourite persons of all time.



One final hurrah for my birthday month and (presciently scheduled) before another lockdown. What a treat it was to have spent it at Nadodi, who recently made the list as one of Asia’s Best restaurants. Three friends, three bottles of wine (and then some), more than three hours of laughter, and nine courses of epic degustations.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments