Three (Wonderful, Consuming, Magical, Empowering) Years

By Melissa - Saturday, February 23, 2019


Today marks the third year of life as a freelance travel writer. In that time, I have written local travel listicles, graduated to regional travel stories, and lately, international travel features, all while juggling a full-time job. A lifelong dream, I never thought this was something that could be realised so early on in life, especially not while I was working as a copywriter at Leo Burnett with punishing deadlines and hardly-any-sleep days.

While being a travel writer might seem like a dream job (and it certainly is, for the most part), it is also sacrificially hard work. It is paying attention to the nuances and tuning in to the hum of wherever I am at. It is overcoming inhibitions and making conversation with strangers. It is navigating through dark alleys (sometimes, alone) and eating shoulder-to-shoulder with locals at hole-in-the-wall spots. It is snapping pics the second the food arrives to retain its composition and (quite frequently) eating slightly cold food. It is sneaking away to the nearest bathroom to jot down notes for an interesting story angle. It is standing with my gloves off and camera poised on a frosty -2℃ morning, waiting for that perfect shot. It is never for 'The Gram', but always for the bigger story, the fearless pursuit of wonder.

These three years turned out to be a pastiche of these beautifully imperfect moments and so much more. It was the most wonderful, consuming, magical, empowering season in life, and if there ever was a do-over, I would go through it again, not a second to lose. I learned more than I thought, gained more than I imagined, and saw more than I dreamed was possible.

Happy 3rd Anniversary, my Passion Job! Like all good things, I know, this is only the beginning.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments