Dissertation for the Degree Of Life's Journey (Part I)

By Melissa - Tuesday, June 09, 2009


Acting Smart and Showing Off Theory
by Melissa Cheah


Note: This theory has been developed by the author and its copyright is reserved. It has nothing to do with any person, dead or alive. If you are by any chance affected by it, you must be highly delusional to think that the author would dedicate valuable blog space for you. But then again, who knows?


----------


I have something to confess, I love observing people. Over the years, I must say I got rather good, and the skills have been indispensable help to me.

Thing is, I despise the lot of people acting smart and showing off. I might seem like a petty individual, but my distaste for those nitwits actually fueled the development of this theory. In a way, I have them to thank, for being the cornerstone of my discovery. Not. *rolls eyes*

*waves hand* Let me continue.

Hence, I put my observatory niche as well as my analytical, sometimes judgemental self to good use. With the pioneering of this theory, I believe I am helping mankind (humanity, in fact) to understand the particular breed of humans better, and perhaps even have pity on their sob story. (Again, I was being sarcastic.)

I must warn you though, throughout my research period, I was emotionally drained because my level of patience was tested to the maximum and it never failed to reach its peak daily. The price I paid to write this piece. *shakes head*

Engagement and close proximity to this bunch is best avoided, this is a precautionary warning. It should not, in any circumstance, be taken lightly. However, there are some Benedict Arnolds who think too highly of themselves, even after the warning is released.

In this article, for the benefit of newfound readers, I would reprise my words of wisdom, "They are not a force to be reckoned with. They not only infuriate you, they shorten your life span. Don't go all Captain Smart Aleck and reciprocate the gesture. Be the bigger
(wo)man and call a truce, you will thank me for it later."

Before I move on to the causal links of this phenomenon, we must first identify the targeted breed.

Now, there is a clear distinction between being confident and being so full of yourself. Do not mistake arrogance for confidence. It is two very disparate elements. Then, there is also being comfortable in your own skin and flaunting what you have. The latter is the destructive (also annoying) one.

Moving on, what is the possible reason(s) for this sort of preposterous behaviour?


1. Inferiority Complex


The above is a major, is THE major contributor to this irrational behaviour.

Let us divide the theory into two parts, congregate its followers on opposite aisles and I will speak on both.


Those on the left, The Act Smart bunch.

These people thrive on praises, it is the air they breathe. They WANT to be noticed, they desire to make their existence known. (That is not an entirely bad thing, I want to be remembered too, when I am lowered into the ground and my body to become nutrients for soil. But, I do not force people to remember me by shoving my face in their faces at any time of day I encounter them.)

This bunch also love to cosy up to those higher up the food pyramid and do what they excel best in - Butt Kissery. Too much of that and they become Brown Nose. They take pride in delivering sarcastic jokes which never fails to fall flat on the ground, but they would resound in piercing laughter, much to the annoyance of everyone within a 5-metre radius.

Their impediment is they are actually not that what they seem to portray. I am not referring to them as dumb, of course. I am just saying, they are not bright. Academically, they may be excellent. On other things, it is the total opposite. The contrast is stark, like night and day.


Those on the right, The Show Off Bunch.

These people gain excitement from flaunting off what they have (or don't, to which they would divert their modus operandi to - Sourgrape), with the perception that they are a cut above the rest. They have a false view of what is nice/hot/acceptable, proceeding with the perception of oozing debonair and appeal, when the correct term is crappy.

Let's not be delusional, the only reason for their default mode to be set on showing off is because they are empty and insecure on the inside. (I have always maintained my stand in saying that blogs should not be made accessible to everyone. It is fertile ground for The Show Off Bunch to breed, and it is also an avenue to 'stardom' for them. On second thought, I think Facebook and Twitter are evil too.)

I see a group building up in between both aisles, belonging to none of the groups. This bunch has formed a merger for both Acting Smart and Showing Off, they are Complete Pain In The Rear End.

With bona fide, I would suggest for you to be en route to Bellevue. It will do wonders for your mental health. A couple of months in there, you might not actually be a threat to society, and yourself anymore.


----------


Author's note: This is a thesis done for the subject called 'Life'. With continual discoveries and research, additions would be inevitable. Be on a lookout for more.

*The author would like to stipulate that a theory is not a theory until it is challenged. Do leave your feedbacks at the 'Comments' column.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

5 comments