Striking Correspondence

By Melissa - Monday, March 02, 2009

During the start of secondary school (This was a very long time ago. I am way past my schooling days.), I befriended a girl and we had a really interesting friendship. Because of my desire to write and compose letters, we would engage in a letter-writing regime.

Every single week, I look gingerly towards the arrival of Friday, the day where the exchanging of letters took place. Letters we have written expressing our thoughts, impressions, innermost views on anything and everything going on around us.

Two years later, she had to move elsewhere with her family. By that time, a bond had already developed between us. Our pens brought us together, an unlikely way to many. We kept in touch for a few more years, before we fizzled out. I kept those letters in my momento box, along with many other things.

I decided to devote my afternoon to clearing the content of the box, and I ended up re-reading all of our correspondence. It was good math, reeling time back, being in my 14year-old mind again. Language wise, I was so much poorer then. Being a voracious reader and developing to be an English language afficionado was not on my to-do list then.

However, one piece of correspondence striked me.

We were discussing the issue of racial segregation and how the world would be a much better place to reside in, if that way of thinking was rendered void. If only we could switch the mindset of man, suppress the insatiable desire to categorize superiority on the basis of race or skin colour, a peace-loving, war-less world would emerge.

I have my doubts on certain races (I am only human, I am honest enough to admit that). But that, at any rate, should not be a stumbling block and be registered as an excuse to undermime.

Due to this, Apartheid was legislated and Hitler's Super (Master) Race Concept became a real-life horror. Thousands of lives were wiped off the face of the earth in an instant.

The reason? A selfish, provoked mentality to be the top echelon of a race hierarchy, which doesn't even exist in the first place.

No matter where we come from, what ethnicity we belong to, to what praxis we are accustomed to, I believe (with all my heart): Deep within, we are the same.

*
Let us link arms and join forces across the globe, to set aside our differences and march forward, united under a singular race: The Human Race.
Melissa Cheah - 2nd March, 2009

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments