Thanksgiving 2015

By Melissa - Thursday, November 26, 2015




If there is one theme for life in 2015, it would be change and starting over-s.

My life went through a major overhaul this year - From choosing to let go of toxic people, to attending a new church, serving in a new ministry (which I adored with the entirety of my heart) and as of a month ago, moving away from home and starting a new job.

Turning 26 became very confronting for me. I realised that there was so much more ahead of me which I have not seen or immersed myself in. Not long after, a job offer from one of the top creative agencies in the country knocked on my door and after giving it some thought, I decided to take it up.

The decision wasn't made after weighing out an itemised list of pros and cons. I came to it after hours upon hours of soul-searching and prayer.

I wasn't looking to make safe choices, not anymore. I needed to do this, for me, and not anyone else.

The first two weeks saw me kicking myself every day (figuratively, of course; I'll have you know that it doesn't hurt any less) in the head, heart and gut for flowing with Change at this juncture in life.

Here's the thing about Change - Nobody likes it. Change is often treated like a shunned leper, a pariah; best to be kept away from. Why? Because, Change is terrifying. It has the ability to capsize Normal, tank Routine and put an end to Comfort Zone.

Yet, the only constant in life is Change.


Moving away from the comfort of home and back to a rented room took some getting used to.

Leaving my first job (and with it, an amazing boss and incredible colleagues) for this new one required courage, lots of it.

Switching from a tech-based industry to the advertising industry demanded all of me - my head, heart and soul.


Change is daunting. But, I have also learned that every time Change shows up, the golden opportunity to Start Over comes along with it. And, if not for Change, some of the best times of my life would have never come to be.

This year, as difficult and trying as the early days may be, I choose to trust Him and be thankful for everything... the gentle breeze and the savage hurricane, the leisurely stroll and the demanding run.

Because... I might not always understand His methods, but I have learned to trust the process.

Because... The destination is not the prize, the lessons gleaned from the journey is.

Because... Change and starting over is a little less scary when He is at the heart of it all.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments