25 Years In - Happy Birthday To Me

By Melissa - Saturday, April 12, 2014

I’m a much different person than I was at this time last year.

For the first time in 25 years... I know my value as a person.

I realised how extremely different and far off I am from the mould of a typical girl.

I know that I am never going to screw you over once you get past my guard which is why I have a hard time letting people in. Life has shown me repeatedly (not frequently, and I'm thankful for that) that my reservations are justified, as seen with *this* incident.

But, this year, I learned that there are people who DESERVE to get past my guard, and I should allow those people who have proven their loyalty access to my heart, and not hold back.

I’m more free than I was before, and that came with knowing my own value as a person.

I know how much I’m worth. I've been told of how much I'm worth. That made me recognise that while there are critics out there, I am my own harshest critic.

I know who’s worth my time and who isn’t. I've learned the hard way that people who invalidate my own worth, feelings, and opinions aren’t worth my time. And, as much as it pains me to do so, I have to let go of such people.

Granted, I’m not perfect and I never will be, but there is a giant difference between the ones who belittle you and the ones who embrace you for the person you are completely - in strengths and more so, in weaknesses.

And right now, at this point in my life, I'm immensely grateful to God for my family (both my uncles included - I adore them!) and for the gift of true friendship.


----------


Happy Birthday to me! I can't wait to see what the next 25 years will bring... 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments