Travel Thoughts - Singapore (Aug 2018)

By Melissa - Monday, September 03, 2018


One of the five tangible goals I had set for myself in 2018 was to make time for people who matter. The metric included going home once every 1-2 months to see my family (work-in-progress), scheduling regular dinners with my peers (acing this), and visiting friends in neighbouring countries (zilch).

The last item on my list was something I had not done all year and that, very obviously, needed remedying.

So, this past weekend, I flew down to Singapore to be with two of my bestest friends and it was just what the doctor ordered for my (slightly) exhausted soul. In a span of less than 72 hours, I was loved on so well. I left feeling inspired and challenged, to be and do more.

Which, interestingly, led to the creation of Travel Thoughts, a spin-off from my Travel Logs.

If I have learned anything since moving to the city three years ago, it is this - who you choose to journey with will impact your life more than you can ever imagine. Choose well. Pick wisely. Practice intentionality (the ultimate secret to what makes a friendship or relationship flourish).

Here’s why:

  • Be with like-hearted people who inspire you to be the best you can be.
They are the ones who believe in you long before you believed in yourself. They are also the ones who will have faith in you when no one else does.

  • Edge closer (and hold on forever) to true friends who will call you out on your nonsense.
They are pretty hard to come by, but when one comes along, never let him / her go. They are the ones who dare to put your friendship to the test because they care about you too much to leave you the way you are.

  • Find mates who will be in your corner when you get knocked down.
They are the ones who will be there when you are down and out because they know how much it hurts and how tired you are, but will rally and get you to stand up to throw one last punch. Because, finishing well matters.

  • Ride out the waves with comrades who will be with you in the boat.
They are the ones who watch your back, support you, believe in you, cheer you on, and give you the courage to do the impossible. Someday, when you are walking on water, you won’t have to look back; you will instinctively know they are right there with you.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments