Date A Girl Who Reads... And Writes... (Part 2)

By Melissa - Wednesday, April 10, 2013


Confessions of A Girl Who Reads... And Writes...


I have buried my nose into the pages of a book countless times, just to take it all in. I take pleasure in running my fingers down the spine of a borrowed book. A little part of me dies on the inside with knowledge of the lost art of literary articulation in our world today. What happened to the art of expressive writing?

Some of my favourites, if I may:

"I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where,
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
So I love you because I know no other way than this:
Where I does not exist, nor you,
So close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
So close that your eyes close as I fall asleep."

(Pablo Neruda - Sonnet XVII)


"In vain have I struggled, it will not do; my feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

(Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice)



(E.E. Cummings)


Do people feel less today, or has modernity consumed us so much that expression is reduced to sweet (easy to swallow, pleasant to taste but without a lasting impression) texts? What happened to lengthy penning-s? What triggered the stop of the beautiful poetry and honest confessions of love and emotions?

I am not (and will never be) accustomed to saying things '"just because". I could never live with saying something "just for the sake of it". I question and wonder of the authenticity of words that are told to me all. the. time.

Perhaps, I feel too much. Perhaps, I demand too much. Perhaps, I should lighten up and take words a little less personally. Or, just maybe... People have forgotten the value of words and how much it weighs.

My other writer (girl)friends and I - We are all on that same boat. And so, we sit in a circle, hug our knees to our chest and lament of this dire phenomenon. Our greatest fear? Being with someone who does not get that to us, words are love.

Yes, we know that love shown is more powerful than love told. But, we want to be told, over and again, a million times over, in every way possible, because that's what we would do. We try, we try every single day to capture the movements of our heart and express it with words.

But, what we'd like most for you (listen up, guys) to know is that beneath the need to have love reaffirmed and re-pledged constantly, lies not insecurity, but hope and faith - hope for a future and faith to see it through.

--------------


P/S: I thought it best to do a second post, following *this* entry.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments