Eat, Pray, Love

By Melissa - Tuesday, October 12, 2010

So, based on the Tomatometer, this movie was not a hit.
I thought otherwise as I watched it this afternoon. Sure, the movie was not as stellar, if compared to the memoir itself, but I enjoyed it. And, that's good enough for me.
I found myself reminiscing snippets of my very own journey through the movie, so much so that it would be remiss if I did not write my take (to borrow from Elizabeth Gilbert's bestselling memoir title) on Eat, Pray, Love.
*
In no order of importance,
Eat
I have seen friends skimming through menus and finally opting for a salad as dinner. When the salad arrives at our table, I look at my order laden before me and suddenly, I'm not that hungry anymore. I have gone through that phase - The 'Salad-as-a-meal-because-I-want-to-have-a-size-25-waist' phase.
I was miserably poking my salad, shoving it down my throat and patting my tummy afterwards, comforting and begging for it to behave and not rumble, as a protest to the lack of food intake.
I finally realised that no matter how hard I try, I will not be able to fit into size 25 jeans. My structure is simply not made in that way.
I learnt that being comfortable in my own skin and confidently embracing my curves is more attractive than constantly being worried of the extra calorie digested, because I chose to have some ice-cream for dessert.
I name the day I made that decision as one of the most life-changing (and liberating) days of my life.
Pray
The movie had Liz (played by the gorgeous Julia Roberts) say this, "God dwells within you... as you. God's not interested in watching a performance of how a spiritual person looks and behaves."
It is PARTLY true.
He dwells within the chambers of my heart, as my Saviour, as my Comforter, as my Counsellor.
I simply cannot register the thought of Him not being in my life. He is, after all, the very reason that we are here, "for in Him we live, move and HAVE our being." (Acts 17:28)
The very second a person decides to venture off from that truth, one loses reason for living. That, is the greatest tragedy of all.
Love
This is, perhaps, one of the most personal topics I've yet to fully open up about.
I am not cut out for the 'On-Off-and-On-again' game. Neither am I good with the repetitive 'Fight-Cry-Truce-Comfort-and-Console' process.
I know myself well enough to state that when it comes to matters concerning feelings, it's either there or it's not. I also know myself well enough to say that I am not a very adept handler when it comes to emotions.
In the past, I had knowingly made the decision to go against my (and God's) better judgement. I knew it was going to hurt, I was not prepared for the reality that it was going to hurt THAT bad.
I learnt. I learnt that the pain of a broken heart is excruciatingly real. I learnt that I am not prepared to go through that heartaching phase again.
Most important, I learnt that God has His best for me, whom He is preparing and will bring in His time (My Daddy shared this truth with me after the ordeal. Thanks, Daddy!). He also added that when that day comes, although it will not be fireworks and perfection, there will be no heartache because God's hand and blessings is bestowed.
Right now, I am learning to wait patiently. I am learning to not settle for anything less than His best.
*

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments