10 Ways To A Better Life

By Melissa - Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Counting the days as this is the last week of my well-deserved holidays, I am somewhat relieved to return to my alma mater, to resume life as a student again. My darling friend kindly pointed out the unfortunate side of my upbeat persona at that moment, sad to say, the trepidation of my rantings will also resume then.

Because, I dread the morning classes. Classes and working hours should begin after 10, at the earliest. When I've accomplished my position as the leader of a company, I shall implement it. That will be a good turn to all of humanity (or my future employees, at least), of which I am most certain undying devotion (plus grovelling thanks) will be my reaped reward.


Ramblings on pause, I wrote a list of 10 (easy) ways to a better life.


  1. Believe in God.
    If my heartfelt sharing of experiences aren't enough to convince you, I promise to dedicate more posts to it. Putting that aside momentarily, trust me on this. Religion is one of the best things in life which does not require any expense, but is THE thing that is most rewarding and will do wonders to improve your emotional well-being.

  2. Cultivate a positive outlook and mentality.
    I can hear some of you laughing at this one, because I always rain on others' parade, preferring the hard, cold truth rather than the sugar-coated alternative (which is only meant to sound good to the ears, but do little in jolting sense).

    However, in delicate and a handful of situations, keeping my head above the water even when the water has risen to neck-deep - It sustained me, preserved me. A little positivity, while clinging on to a glimmer of hope, never does harm to anyone.

  3. Practice forgiveness.
    Unforgiveness leads to bitterness, which will eventually birth forth depression. To see a person succumbing to that, it is not a pretty sight. Let go of the past grudges, let it's grip over your life be set loose.

  4. Learn to enjoy the simple things in life.
    To do this, first, spend time (grab, borrow or steal) with a child. Look at the world through their eyes, you will indubitably be inspired.

    About 3yrs ago, I was playing nanny to a friend's son, and he begged me to go down the slide with him. I was reluctant and hesitant, but his continual pleading made it impossible for me to say no. I got up to the playhouse, had to wiggle my way down the slide and ended up scraping my knee (The realisation that the ride was over hit me when I found myself sprawled on the ground.). I was peeved (of course...) but I found myself smiling again when I saw him laughing heartily, looking so adorable.

  5. Cut yourself some slack.
    It is essential to make plans for the future - Filling up your daily planner or calendar with projects, reviewing your career prospects, may give you comfort that you are actually concerned and are making an effort to better your future.

    Nevertheless, avoid inventing stringent rules and impossible ambitions that you have to stick to - They will only make you feel guilty when you do not accomplish them.

  6. Unload your unnecessary baggage.
    I have seen some whose back has already been bent and yet, they strap on additional baggage unto their shoulders due to reasons such as friendship or family ties. Learn how to say no, some burdens are not yours to carry.

  7. Pamper yourself every now and then.
    And, I do not mean this as buying the latest Guess top or Coach bag when you know your bank account is already bleeding profusely, begging you to stop spending or it shall never see the light of day again.

    Reward yourself with your favourite items, such as a pint of your favourite ice-cream flavour from Haagen-Dazs or a facial treatment.

  8. Express yourself.
    Contrary to your already set belief, not everyone is out to get you and make your life a living hell. Most of the time, they just don't get what you want. None of those around you are mind-readers anyway.

    Make your intentions, likes and dislikes known. The keyword here is communication.

  9. Exercise.
    Elle Woods from Legally Blonde (character portrayed by petite Reese Witherspoon) made this clear enough, "Exercise releases endorphins and endorphins make you happy."
    It is true, even taking a brisk walk around your residential area, it still counts.

  10. Cherish and celebrate life.
    Life every day as if it will be your last. Take advantage of the time you have, every breath you take is another reason for you to do something good.


P/S: Later in the evening, when I go for my walk, I am going to take a little detour to the playground on the way back. I am going to test the swing, probably settle for the bright yellow one and kick my feet off the ground, just to see how high I can go...

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments