Music (Part 2): Falsetto

By Melissa - Saturday, March 28, 2009

Since I am in the mood for writing now, I shall post another entry.

Remember I said I was my singing teacher's worst nightmare, choosing to strain my voice instead of developing my falsetto?

Now, I can just imagine the frowns on your faces, thinking, "What the heck is she going on and on rambling about?"

I shall be a good soul now and pull those of you living in the Medieval times (where the singing world is concerned) out.


The term falsetto (Italian diminutive of falso, false) refers to the vocal register occupying the frequency range just above the modal voice register and overlapping with it by approximately one octave. It is produced by the vibration of the ligamentous edges of the vocal cords, in whole or in part. Though frequently used in reference to a particular type of vocal production in singing, falsetto vocal production also occurs within speech and is one of the four main vocal registers identified within speech pathology. The characteristic sound of falsetto is inherently breathy and flute-like, with few overtones present. The falsetto voice is more limited in dynamic variation and tone quality than the modal voice in both speaking and singing. Both men and women can phonate in the falsetto register. The term falsetto is most often used in the context of singing to refer to a type of vocal phonation that enables the singer to sing notes beyond the vocal range of the normal or modal voice.

(Excerpt derived from Wikipedia.)


Now that I have all of you back in the 21st century, let's move on.

If you've watched American Idol this week, I have to concur and echo the judges' praises for Adam Lambert. I've never liked him, and his performance during the Michael Jackson week was terribly overrated and in my opinion, it was ghastly.

But, he is beginning to grow on me. If he keeps this up (choosing the right song, not being too OTT and sounding like a shrieking hyena, losing the black nail polish and combing his hair P-R-O-P-E-R-L-Y), he will remain in my good graces. This week, he was awesome. I take my hat off to him. When I watched the episode, I actually stood up in front of my tele and gave him a standing ovation (I was joking. I would never do that.). He was that good.

First, it is hard enough to maintain a control over your falsetto, without risking an off-key. Secondly, to do it with gusto and convincing emotions to match while serenading such a poignantly written song, he had America eating right out of the palm of his hand.

P/S: I have to say, still, Danny Gokey is my guy. He has charisma and impeccable vocals. I hope to God, America is smart enough to not prematurely boot him out and allow him to contend, as part of the top three.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments