Confessions Of A Shopaholic

By Melissa - Friday, March 27, 2009

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I don't remember the actual date the love affair started, but if I have to make a vague conjecture, I would infer it to the day the book 'Can You Keep A Secret?' landed on my hands. I devoured it with rapid reading, and soon, Sophie Kinsella had my world in the palm of her hands.

By the time I discovered and read the first two Shopaholic series, I was hooked. The books enabled me to embrace my girly side (My bank account does not thank me for this, I have to say) and provides identification (and reassurance) that I am not alone in wanting all those things (Have I mentioned before that one of my life's quest is to call a pair of Manolo Blahniks my own?). I also read the others (3 more, as part of the series and another standalone novel entitled 'Undomestic Goddess').

When I learnt of the movie adaptation for the first book, it was a bittersweet moment. I faced a crossroad apprehension, to or to-not watch it. I will admit, many movies directed based on best-sellers have disappointed me in the past (Harry Potter movies, all of it. That is only my first example.). I got to a point where I would rather read the book, leave my mind to conjure up it's own interpretation and let my imagination run wild.

But, my curiosity got piqued as the release date drew nearer. Alas, I found myself sitting through the 90mins movie today, laughed non-stop, paused during moments where I had to wipe away the tears of laughter (because they clouded my view) as well as chastising myself for being such a worrywart.

Although I would not surmise it as one of the best movies I've ever watched, I think it would be a safe choice, if you'd like your day to be brightened and spruced up.

I have to comment on Isla Fisher's notable performance as Rebecca 'Becky' Bloomwood. She did splendidly, pulling off a comic personality without appearing like a fool. Her sunny disposition, humorous facial expressions and puppy dog eyes made her portrayal immensely lovable. Also, I stand corrected. I gave little credit to Luke Brandon and my mental judgement of him was flawed. Don't get me wrong, the portrayal of Luke Brandon (filled in by Hugh Dancy) was mediocre and two-dimensional, but that is not to say he is not dashingly gorgeous... *smiles dreamily*

My advise: Give it a go, really. Ignore all the bunkum about this movie being grossly inappropriate given the current economic situation, it will not prompt you to run to your favourite store to get that bag/shoes/top you've been eyeing.


Rating: 3.5/5

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments