The Not-So-Ideal Choices

By Melissa - Tuesday, February 17, 2009

You know how girls love to talk and talk, and talk even more?

Even when our mouths get sore and it looks like we are gonna need a prescription (for excessive yakking), we will still do it because, it's a girl thing. Don't try to crack your head to figure the why, till this day, I can't comprehend it too...

Recently, I was having a conversation with a friend and a topic which have made me squirm repeatedly when asked, was brought up. The What-Is-Your-Ideal-Type-Of-Man? subject.

I gave her a rough sketch of my ideal man but as the conversation proceeded further, I realised something: Acceptance of a partner as a whole is far more important than the endless pursuit for the perfect other half.

The so-called 'ideal' guy may come along once in awhile but the crucial subject matter is whether or not we can be on the same page and wavelength.


Allow me to explain.


Let's say I end up with a good-looking guy who's rich (not just by inheritance), has a stable career, is the most caring guy and the guy all my girlfriends wish to have scored.

I know if I were to marry him, I would live a very comfortable life and my children's futures are invariably secured. But, the teensy-tiny problem is he hardly understands my passion for music and art. Instead, he loves to spend his time expanding his career opportunities and names golfing as his favourite pastime.

Chances are, I would not be able to hold a relationship with him to last till the dinging of wedding bells. Heck, I can't even stomach the idea of spending the rest of my days with him.

I know I would be labelled as a complete idiot but deep down, I will be rest assured of choice I made.

Why? Because it is innate, my inborn personality that passion comes before everything else. Which will explain my switching courses, from Accounting to Mass Communication.

I have nothing against accountants, but I have found it to be one of the most boring and stagnant career choices. Note that I am fully aware of the lucrative paycheck and the look of awe in people's eyes when they hear of the chosen career path.

Many have given a disapproving look when the question of my course of study is raised. What we do - to put it simply - is inject a little excitement into your dull lives.

If we were not doing what we are doing, you would not have the daily newspapers you thrive on, or be able to watch anything on the television. Wait, did I mention your huge company would not even make its mark anywhere because no one would know of it?

I have saved myself from a fate worst than death when I finally convinced my parents to let me study what I wanted from the very beginning.

Sarcasm on halt, I realise in life, we can't have everything to our heart's content.


That is fine by me, making not-so-ideal choices (hence the title) to earn a little less but have a much more rewarding job and to have a not-so-ideal (by our society's standard) guy, but someone I know can make my life worth living every single day...

*

Related post(s):

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments