The Accidental Husband

By Melissa - Monday, January 12, 2009


“Until we know the difference between real love and romantic love, we are just searching in vain for something that doesn’t even exist.”
Dr. Emma Lloyd ( played by doe-eyed Uma Thurman ) from ‘The Accidental Husband’


In this romantic-comedy (hereafter known as ‘rom-com’), Uma Thurman plays Dr. Emma Lloyd, famed love expert and radio personality. All goes well for her, she is engaged to be married to her fiancée (played by Colin Firth), her radio show is a success and her first publication declared her an authority on love. Patrick Sullivan (played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan, famous for his role as Dr. Izzie Steven’s lover in Grey’s Anatomy) however, is a New York fire-fighter who has a seemingly idyllic life until the love of his life decides to seek advice from the no-nonsense doctor, who questions her concept of romantic love and advises her to break off her engagement, his life is forever altered. Patrick decides to give the love-doctor a taste of her own medicine by asking his tech-savvy neighbour to ‘accidentally’ join them in holy matrimony, and all hell breaks loose. It doesn’t take long for them to realise that sometimes even an expert in love needs a second opinion...


My review: Lousy movie, I’d only give it 2 out of 5. Give it a miss...


But, that line derived from the movie gave me a lil something to blog about it.

I think that too many of us are caught in a life where we are endlessly and tirelessly searching for romantic love, to be the envy of all our friends and obtain the creme de la creme of male/female conterparts that sometimes we forget, REAL love is not like that at all.

We live in a disillusioned fantasy, where we want the best that we can get, many times to only gain approval from our community (Don’t you say that I am exaggerating, you know it for yourself).

Granted, I would be so very blessed to have a partner who is completely smitten by me, spoils me rotten and sweeps me off my feet. In the real world, sometimes or occasionally, rather once in a blue moon, that happens. Everyday? Dream on...

Call me a cynic but I believe that I am being rational. I mean, I’ve seen as well as gone through enough to know that distinguishments have to made, either to have a romantic, getting-swept-off-your-feet fling or be in a meaningful relationship, destined for the long haul.

Having said all that, maybe I should give it a try with the gorgeous-looking guy that has been bugging me on Myspace, articulating lovey-dovey messages for me in my inbox... Who knows? Maybe I can find real love... Not.

P/S: I'll blog further about this, maybe do a sequel (That should be fun, seeing how I enjoy starting things but not finishing them) and also tell you further on why I do not believe in Internet-dating.

More to come...

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments