No Boyfriend Yet Ah?

By Melissa - Friday, February 12, 2016

The barrage of questions were expected when I was home for the recent CNY festivities. I prepped mentally and concocted a few plausible responses which were me-approved.

1. I’m currently in a passionate love affair with….. myself.

After 26 years of living, I have finally scaled the ‘I Love Me for Me’ mountain and reached the pinnacle of self-acceptance. This, in no way, means I’ve attained perfection; it simply means that I am fully comfortable with all of me (flaws included).

2. I don’t need a boyfriend to prove that I’m worth something.

It wasn’t always like that. There were days when I used to mope over how single and alone I was over a certain grape juice or tea (not euphemism). Till, I realised that there are other things in life I want and can strive for.

3. Hugh Jackman is already taken.

My undying love and unyielding devotion to this most ravishing piece of flesh will never wane. Forever and ever, amen.

----------

All of the responses were perfect, in my frame of mind. They are however, never to be uttered aloud, especially in the presence of elders.

Truth is… It is one part hilarious and three parts unnerving when such a question is posed to me.

Presently, I am gunning for a significant income, rather than a significant other. Besides, I wouldn’t have much time for the latter. My 24 hours are inordinately divided between work or (when I get the delightful chance) my bed. More often than not, the two overlap (read: spending the night in the office or working in bed).

When you are on your own for a while, you age. With age, comes enlightenment. Some might even call it wisdom.

The whole ‘Find your other half’ mentality is fed to us from a young age; that the search for another person could make you whole. The older I get, the less sense this idea makes.

After braving hell and beyond, I learned that I am already a whole person. I don’t want to be with someone who feels like half of him is missing. I want to date a fellow, whole person who will jump in on life's adventures with me and be my compadre in all the great (or nutso) ideas I might conjure.

Some day, maybe I’d consider having children. The ticking of my biological clock or not, at this juncture in life, I do not wish to have a child clinging to me and be up at odd hours of the night to clean bums and put away soiled diapers.

Like all great things, it takes time. Which is perfectly fine, because I’m in good company now that I’ve found me. I think that me is pretty great and more importantly, I like me.

And, that is all that matters.


P/S: In light of the festivities, here's a saliva-inducing pic of the gratifying home-cooked food I had while I was back on the island (which frankly did quite a bit in making up for the nosy questions).



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments