The Pursuit for a Pure Heart

By Melissa - Thursday, February 17, 2011

I love the feeling that is within me right now. There is a stirring in my soul but my heart is content.

It comes when there is a song within me. It comes when there is a melody that rings in my head. It comes when His love soaks me anew and courses through my veins. It comes when a fresh revelation of who He is, straight from His magnificent throne of grace, fills my thoughts and captivates my heart.

It’s the most incredible feeling in the world.

In my own heart, in the chambers of my soul, I hear this; over and over, through the day.

The pursuit for a pure heart (a heart after His own, movements of a heart that mirrors His, beats that are in sync with His) is not for the faint-hearted. It is for the stout-hearted; it is for the courageous, it is for gutsy people.

Because, the heart, our hearts, it is probably the most difficult part of who we are to surrender to any person. Because when it is given, it is giving a free entry pass into the deepest secrets of who we are.

When the entry pass is given, it cannot be retracted. Emotions run high, feelings come on strong, well-kept-over-the-years secrets will be revealed.

The wounds of Hurt will be tended to, the shards of Bitterness will be seen under His magnifying gaze and removed. The fiery flames of Lust will be doused with the refreshing waters of Self-Control. Jealousy and Resentment will be thrown wide out in the open. Anger will be managed and restrained.

While all that maintenance work is ongoing, Regret comes knowing at your door. Standing by him is Guilt. They will be mocking you, laughing at you, grinning at your work in progress. Shutting the doors of your heart to those two, and another two comes ringing at your doorbell. Their name tags read Confusion and Condemnation.

Let me remind you again of what I have received: “The pursuit for a pure heart is not for the faint-hearted. It is for the stout-hearted; it is for the courageous, it is for gutsy people.”

Regardless of all I’ve been through, through the jungle of Hurts and Pain, the sharp thorns of Regret and Guilt piercing my heart, my heart is constantly inclined and resolute to pursue that pure heart.

Such joy fills my heart in knowing that He peels back the ugly layers of my heart, and allows it to grow once again, this time with His hand of love tending to it. Such rejoicing resounds in my heart when I come to Him broken and He restores, saying “The sacrifices of a broken and contrite heart I will not despise” (Psalm 51:17).

Know that our hearts are a work in progress. Don’t give up just yet, don’t let go of the dream of having that beautiful heart.

When it gets a little messy, hang in there. When it gets tough, stand your ground. Be courageous.

Let HIM refine our hearts, let HIM smooth out the rough edges, let HIM remove the weeds of the past and sow seeds of His promise.


So much love,
Melissa.


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments