Those Were The Days

By Melissa - Tuesday, September 14, 2010


  • Those were the days where my greatest worry was to be able to snag the best seats in my yellow B72 school bus: The back seats.

    My friends and I devised various plans for perpetual domination of the back seats. We took turns to rush out of our classes (sometimes even before the school bell rings) and run across the school compound just because of that.

    We sat with our knees up on the seats, waved at cars and sang aloud to the tunes we loved.

  • Those were the days where 4 Nilam was known to be the cheekiest class (out of 8 classes in the entire form). And, I was in 4 Nilam.

    We used to sneak food in from the canteen. We organised junk food days with chips and chocolates being passed around the classroom during ongoing lessons (we were VERY inconspicuous).

    We held unofficial class parties, refused to leave for the canteen during recess and talked our way through to coax the prefects from reporting our illegal (according to school laws) activity.

  • Those were the days where my most important concern was to win the debate I had with my classmates on the topic, Christians VS. Catholics.

    We argued, argued and continued to argue, all in order to prove the other person wrong. When all the points have been laid out and neither of us wanted to throw in the towel, we sat across each other; huffing and puffing (Debates are exhausting!), stare each other in eyes and then, burst out laughing.

  • Those were the days where food was cheap and exceptionally good. Canteen food, that is.

    I remember Pak Ali’s (the slightly blur canteen uncle) fragrant and delicious fried chicken. I remember that Tuesday was Chicken Rice Day, and Thursday was Tomato Rice Day.

    What I remember and miss most is the company I had with me while enjoying the food. That is priceless.

  • Those were the days where snoozing in class WAS an option.

    In all truth and honesty, I am guilty of it. History, Add Maths and Moral Education were to blame.

    Right now, I would give anything just to be in that same class and listen to my Add Maths teacher bore me with algebra and logarithm.


Never have I thought that high school memories would get me wistful and nostalgic. Those were the days, and looking back at it now, they were pretty darn good days.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments