Common Decency (and Sleep Deprivation)

By Melissa - Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The assignments had done me in.

I clocked in at 4.30am (as of this morning) and woke up to hit the road less than 3 hours later.

I almost fell asleep at the wheel.

This is not happening because of a one-night vigil, but spanning more than 2 weeks of accumulated sleep deprivation.

My sleep issues aside (I can't let it slide too far away from me, I am rather short-tempered and grumpy now), I can't help but mention this.

I've installed a hit counter at the right, lowest corner of my blog. It is to keep tab of visitors and readers alike.

Now, I do not profess to be a know-it-all or proclaim that my opinions (and solely mine) are a must to follow, as I know best.

No, it is common decency.

A few highlights, if you may.

You see, I capitulated, gave up resistance, caved in and succumbed to the lowly temptations of Facebook, all in the name of friendship and maintaining its' ties. How noble!

Sarcasm on hold, Facebook is an ingenious creation, perfect for long-distance communication and teasing, cool enough for day-to-day updates.

But, one of the biggest sins FB ever made was to include those pathetic quizzes and silly games. It annoys me to no ends to open my Live Feed and see those nonsense.

The quizzes are abysmal. Let me reiterate that, the quizzes are abysmal.

Your name is as it is, each letter does not represent your so-called personality or trait. You have no control of the future, therefore quit wasting your time on counting the chicks before the eggs hatch. Or, leave foolish comments like, "Wow, just what I want" or "Our kids are going to be the best of friends, we should arrange for playdates".

Secondly, this is perhaps the most informative news you'll ever receive in your lifetime.

Do not publish your relationship woes on FB. (This community message is brought to you by Chatty Lass, whom you should not despise but heed her advice, for your own sake. How's that for a tagline? Pretty awesome, isn't it?)

But seriously, haven't you heard of the words 'part amicably' or 'handle slippery issues with more care' (instead of announcing them to the world)?

My bed is howling my name, my brain pleading profusely for some shut-eye.

I shall digress, for now.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments