What Makes A Good Read?

By Melissa - Thursday, August 20, 2009

With blogs sprouting overnight, faster than green beans miraculously budding into bean sprouts, it is a no wonder many are turning to blogs as a writing pad to share, show off their latest gizmos and purchases, and announce the what's hot in their lives.

I beg to differ.

I've had friends asking me to do daily updates on my life, post journal-like entries. I declined by politely (but firmly) informing them I do not support their cause in blabbing my personal life to the rest of the world.

Most of the time, I am not too sure if my readers actually take the effort to read between the lines of my writings, comprehend the message I am trying (very hard) to convey and take it to heart.

I have been putting off writing this post for a long time, torn in-between two lovers; 'Should I?' and 'Should I Not?'.

Alas, I linked arms with 'Should I?', exchanged two kisses with him (one on each cheek, muah! muah!) and heaved a sigh of relief.


  1. Channel your own, distinctive voice.

    It is pointless, of no use, to bust your butt attempting to copy or imitate another person's style of writing.

    You may think what you are doing is inconspicuous. Do not be too quick to come to that conclusion.

    Even blind Martians can tell that you are being a try-hard. Not to mention, a phony (You are as real as Lindsay Lohan's preposterously large overnight boobs).

    Develop your individual sense of writing, a voice of your own instead of snagging others'.

    You are probably the last person on Earth anyone should trust with a secret. Chances are, you are a mega blabbermouth.

  2. Big, bombastic words DO NOT make your writings interesting and smart-sounding.

    To utilise those words, you need to properly understand the English language, hand-in-hand with blessed creativity to pull off a coherent sentence.

    Otherwise, it looks as though you have an incessant yearning to inject variety in your posts. Turning to the faithful ol' Thesaurus, you exchange your mundane words for something more spicy-sounding.

    Thing is, the list of words listed are only similiar on a superficial basis.

    An example, if you may.

    The word gnaw means to bite on or chew persistently.

    Saying "I gnawed on my serving of chicken parmigiana today" sounds rather wrong and out-of-place. No doubt it indicates you did perform the act of chewing persistently to digest your food.

    The proper usage of the word would be "One of my dog's favourite pastime is to gnaw on a bone."

  3. Simplicity in language is the best.

    Now, I only use certain words because they fit into the occasion. They are an accurate depiction of what I am trying to say. Instead of a long-winded sentence, I can sum it up in one word.

    Learn this, language is just one facet of the entire writing experience.

    An excellent command in language is definitely a plus point.

    That said, some of the best books I've read are uncomplicated, simple and yet astonishingly life-changing.

  4. Bring substance into your pennings.

    Let's say you have just gone through a whirlwind of things gone wrong; you just suffered a break-up and you are not sure if the light of day will ever shine on you again, your assignment mates are being ninnies and playing refuse to cooperate. You have had enough, and you turn to writing to blow off some steam.

    99% of the time, you would begin typing furiously; cursing, ranting while wailing about injustice, calling your mates imbeciles and lazy bums, your former bf/gf a useless piece of crap.

    Grow up in maturity, bring depth into your writings.

    Do a 101 on how to deal with stone-headed people, or how it has moulded you to be a tougher person in handling sticky situations.

    On any given day, it makes you seem like the bigger person (while you try to pick up the pieces or let your fume of fury die off).

  5. Each writing style is unique.

    Meaning to say, there is no right or wrong.

    James Patterson and Sidney Sheldon are acclaimed best-selling authors. They excel in writing thrillers, political thrillers. Yet, they are as different as light and day.

    The spine of the read may be the same (conspiracy theories, attempts to foil the government, FBI solving brutal murders) but I am brought into separate dimensions, looking through the disparate perspectives.

    Same case scenario applies to us.

  6. DO NOT brag.

    Please, refrain from this.

    Do not subject your readers to disgusted barfing.

    Praises, accolades, achievements, even exam results should be avoided, at all costs.

    Those who have ungraciously and unashamedly done that should be sent to the guillotine.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

11 comments