Movie Review: The Proposal

By Melissa - Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

When high-powered book editor Margaret faces deportation to her native Canada, the quick-thinking exec declares that she's actually engaged to her unsuspecting put-upon assistant Andrew, who she's tormented for years. He agrees to participate in the charade, but with a few conditions of his own. The unlikely couple heads to Alaska to meet his quirky family and the always-in-control city girl finds herself in one comedic fish-out-of-water situation after another. With an impromptu wedding in the works and an immigration official on their tails, Margaret and Andrew reluctantly vow to stick to the plan despite the precarious consequences.

(Source: IMDb)

I am not a big fan and staunch believer of rom-coms.

I prefer those soppy love movies, The Notebook is the best thus far. Find me one which will make me weep and get all snotty to that extent, and I will declare it a contender. Till then, I remain unmoved.

Let the record state that it is not because this 5'4 sharp-tongued but otherwise chatty lass is cold and unfeeling. It is because she has pledged to be an undyingly devoted realist.

But, I must say for a rom-com (My all-time, still unbeatable favourite is My Best Friend's Wedding), The Proposal is one to watch.

The movie maintains its element as a rom-com, yet it is not corny as to the likes of its predecessors (Four Christmases - utter disaster, The Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, 17 Again - Zac Efron is such a pretty boy. Ugh...).

The chemistry between Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds is delightful and easy on the eyes. I also laughed, a whole lot I might add, at the witty retorts and punchy lines (though most of those watching are less participative. I am placing a conjecture that it is due to their lack of comprehension.).

Not to forget, Reynold's puppy-dog expressions are immensely adorable (Anyone who is able to resemble the cuteness of Max is a genius).

One downside, which made me squirm in my seat and understand the expression 'It makes my skin crawl'.

I point accusingly at jack-of-all-trades Ramone. The burlesque dance routine he did, made me shield my eyes from the screen and blushed to the hue of a ripe tomato. Thankfully (for me), the cinema's lightings are dimmed.

I almost forgot. The best part of the movie? The uber cute Samoyed puppy, who goes by the name Kelvin in the movie. So. Darn. Adorable.

Rating: 3/5

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments