Life's Lesson ( 5 )

By Melissa - Monday, May 04, 2009

I am a cheerful person, usually, and only when situations have grated on my nerves am I a sarcastic and furious lass, ranting relentlessly.

But, I always remember to keep my anger in check, my heart in the right place.

Life throws curveballs all the time, it is how we respond to it which determines the person that we are. Either, a respectable person with values implanted so deep that waivering is not an option or a person who gives way to cowardice, whose life is dictated by the words of others.



You take your pick.


Lessons we can all benefit from:

  1. Wisdom and maturity does not come with age
    (Well, in some instances)
    Just because an individual has lived a couple of years or so more, does not automatically result in him or her possessing wisdom and maturity. I have come across some who are pretty young, but with way more maturity than some of the older ones put together.

    Thing is, immaturity shows the lack of character in a person. That is how I would surmise it.

  2. Life is not meant for making impressions.
    Many times, good impressions. To me, I live by (to borrow from movie Yours, Mine and Ours), 'Life is not meant for good impressions, it is for freedom of expression'.

    Simply translating to, you do not have to bust your butt trying to impress people higher up the food chain. The minute you try to be someone other than yourself, you lose life's essence: your individuality, the foremost thing that makes you unique.

  3. Live not to be a legend, live to leave a legacy.
    The above is also one of my other life mantras.

    When I am in that 4' x 8' box, I do not want to be remembered as the person who studied hard, achieved good grades and was the daughter every person alive (pun intended) wish to have.

    I want to be remembered as a person who was a character of her own, a paladin for values and principles I held onto, enriching the lives of those whom I've come across, while never forsaking my ultimate goal: Championing the cause of Christ Jesus' kingdom.

    Albert Einstein died a genius, heralded as a legend. I think that Mother Teresa's legacy trumps over his brilliant brain, on any given day.

    Applied to my situation, the name I am leaving behind might not be synonymous with cleverness and good works, but hopefully it is symetrical with having lived life to its fullest.

  4. Fake pretence gets you virtually nowhere in life.
    Once the novelty of it wears off, that is. According to today's breed of homo sapiens, that happens pretty soon.

    Unless you are prepared for a life where you would be honeying your every word, lying in fact through clenched teeth, I would suggest for you to start being honest.

  5. Don't be a dyed-in-the-wool, sore loser.
    There are some days you win, some days give others a chance. Heck, it is not even wrong to throw in a raincheck every now and then.

    Besides, is it all that nice being Ms or Mr Perfect all the time? Forever getting a perfect CGPA score?

    Because from what I see, and hear (from impeccable sources), it can be quite lonely at the top.


P/S: While completing this piece, my fume died down. Writing is therapeutic.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments