Name Dropping and Pet Names

By Melissa - Monday, March 02, 2009

I am surrounded by peculiar friends (and I say that lovingly) who never fail to amaze me; with their impulsive, no-holding-back questions. Catching up with a friend recently, several topics were discussed simultaneously and finally, it diverted to this. *read below*


Note: I am not particularly good in the area of reporting conversations verbatim. Consider yourself forewarned.



Friend: Hey babe... You know all those mushy entries you wrote?

Melissa: Yes, you are referring to those love-related articles, aren't you?

Friend: Yes yes, I have a question to ask you. Can I, can I?

Melissa: Why, sure. What would you like to know?

Friend: It seems, from my point of view, it must be some relationship huh?

Melissa: Yes, it was. A whirlwind romance, but a considerably short-lived one.

Friend: It is my opinion that he must be some guy, and a real Romeo. (She refers to all good-looking, hot-blooded male species as 'Romeo'.) I've known you for ages, and you are so difficult to please.

Melissa: Yes, I am well-aware of that. But, I can't be that difficult, am I? I am just... well, looking for finesse.

Friend: So, here comes the question I really wanted to ask you. What was his pet name for you?

Melissa: Huh? What?

Friend: Aiya, let me simplify the question. What lovey-dovey name did he address you with?

Melissa: Lady, I understood your question P.E.R.F.E.C.T.L.Y. Give me one good reason to share this with you.

Friend: Because I am your friend ma. Come on, share share la...

Melissa: *rolls eyes* Well, if you really must know, we didn't condone to those cliche name-calling practice. We were conventional people. Once in a blue moon, when we are both in the mood, then we'll engage in that. Only for a couple of hours, throughout one day, at most. Usually, he just calls me May.

Friend: *blinks confusedly (Perhaps to quicken the gain of understanding of what I have just said), then bursts out laughing* May?! Where is the romance in that? You are not even born in May, your birthday is in the month of April.

Melissa: Hey, how long have you known me? May is part of my name. Melissa Cheah M-E-I Ling. It's just that he prefers the 'May' spelling because he says the latter is reserved for addressing (and all other forms of communication with) his little sister.

Friend: And I had high hopes to hear all the juicy, spine-tingling romance details. Sad case la you...


See what I mean now?


I am encompassed around eccentric people, who find themselves normal, citing me as extraordinary and out-of-place, when I am the one possessing sanity of mind.

Which I fully intend to preserve, by not succumbing to their lowly temptations and badgerings.

Nothing wrong with the customary 'Darling' and 'Dear' pet names (although when used repeatedly, will cause more annoyance rather than place emphasis on feelings), but heaven forbid those 'Baby doll', 'Honeybun', 'Sugarplum', 'Sweetie-cutie pie' lot of cooked-up ridiculous name dropping.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments