The World I Know

By Melissa - Friday, September 26, 2008

"It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart".
Anne Frank - July 15, 1944

This was the world, through Anne Frank's eyes. Having finished reading her book not so long ago, I sum it up as one of the wisest and most moving commentaries I have ever read. Her insight to life extends well beyond her age, despite her living condition during that period of time.

Years after her death, her voice still resonates across the world, spreading the message of hope in the midst of grief, anger, loss and desolation. Reading The Diary Of Anne Frank
was a humbling experience for me.

When I read the paper every morning ( I attempt to, especially before my News and Reporting lessons ), the headlines scream murder, war, ministers with political agendas of their own, and so much more. Who can tell what the future holds for this Earth? As I begin to look deeper into all this, sometimes tears are shed. This was not the world I knew of, or the world I want to bring children into. Is it really worth fighting for, believing in and striving toward?

And human beings, they can be so wicked and inhumane. Details of the news reported are horrendous. Thinking of it sends shivers down my spine. My mind could not f
athom how a fellow human could do such a thing to another. I am a person who believes in the death penalty. If a criminal who has murdered a girl confessed his wrongdoings, that is good because he realises his mistake. But, that does not mean he should be pardoned from the consequence of it, which in this case is murder and it's repercussion is death.

But as I read the writings of Miss Frank, I began to see the world in a different light. In my
sometimes judgemental mind, the questions of why-s often surface. Why can't the leaders think properly and make less-troublesome decisions for the people? or Why do I have to go through this just because of...?

I resolved to this, To shrink myself from that thought. I still love life in spite of everything and I would still love life, even if I were to die tomorrow because as I reflect back, I have lived life to the fullest. Certainly there are things where I wish I could change, but none that I have regrets on.

The world today is what it is. I pictured it to be more, this world.
If only people can see through the eyes of Anne Frank, then who knows...

The world Anne Frank envisioned could be the world that you and I know we pictured of...

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments