This Friend of Mine

By Melissa - Thursday, April 19, 2012

When I left home a little over a year ago, I knew I signed up for an irrevocable change in my life. Drastic or otherwise, major or minor, it was entirely dependent on the choices I made along the way to cope with the new chapter and the perspective that I chose to look from.

One of the things I found to be most difficult was leaving some of my dearest and closest friends and along with it, the friendships that have been tried and tested, bonds that were strengthened and rooted and relationships that had bloomed and flourished over time.

And so, it began. The journey, the great expedition, the fresh chapter...

I marvel at the speed by which Time travels; swift, silent and steady.

In that time, I knew that with every call and in every text, when this friend of mine said that she missed me and that I am thought of, it was real. It was from the heart and never merely a matter of lip service, like it was the customary and polite thing to say after not seeing the person for a couple of months.

I was sure of it because I was constantly asked for the date of my return, ensued by plans to meet up and really catch up; even if it was just for a short few hours over a cup of chamomile tea (for me) and green tea frap (for her). 

I saw the excitement in her eyes when we see each other. I feel it when she embraces me with hugs. I hear it in her voice when she speaks. It's unmistakable. And, it makes my heart melt to a puddle of happy juice.

Five hours ago, she picked me up from my home and we set off for dinner to celebrate (yes, and the celebration continues) my belated birthday.



Italiannies, Gurney Paragon.


What we ordered to share:


Classic Pizza






Shrimp Fra Diablo


We were so stuffed to the brim that it took heaps of coaxing and A LOT of willpower to move out from our seats and do some walking to burn off all those calories that we had just ingested. 

We were itching for some dessert and we gave in to our cravings. Someone once told me (or rather she used that line on me every single time we were to consume something immensely sinful and not exercise it off after), "You only live once." 

It must have been then, when I was off to the loo, that this (very sneaky) friend of mine decided to slip a package into my handbag for me - a birthday gift on top of the dinner treat. I only knew of the package much later. 




THANK YOU (x 1,000,000) for the gift. I LOVE IT!


---------------


My dearest Annie,

As I'm writing this now, my eyes are still a little watery and my cheeks have red splotches on them. I cried and I'm still sniffling a little. 

I cried because of your extraordinary generosity. I'm crying because I am reminded again tonight that lives are worth sowing into, specifically yours. Not because of the gift and treat, but the heart behind the gift and treat. A sincere heart, a genuine attitude. 

I don't know what I've ever done to deserve such kindness and love and I've finally understood that it has nothing to do with me, you are His gift to me; one that I am most thankful for after my family.


Love you more than I can say and with all my heart,
Melissa. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments