Annual Event :: Birthday Post (2012)

By Melissa - Monday, April 16, 2012

I turned 23 exactly four days ago.

It wasn't the best of birthdays (no birthday extravaganza and the whole shebang and I'll get to why in a little bit) but I've come to find that this year's was the most meaningful and treasured birthdays I've celebrated thus far.

I spent time with my beautiful friend five days before and I was rewarded, spiritually and emotionally. The gifts were incredibly lovely (If you're reading this, Jie, you sure have a knack for gift-giving!) but our sharing and heart-to-heart, I'll remember it for life.

Days passed and before I knew it, it was April 12th already.

My bestest friend called me at the stroke of midnight (it's fast becoming a tradition for the both of us) and the streams of texts, Whatsapp and LINE messages began pouring in all through the day.


Note #1: To all of you reading this post who have posted on my wall, dropped me a text or called (from as far as NZ and Aus), THANK YOU so very much. I am overwhelmed by your kind words that I made it a priority (in spite of my tight schedule and long day) to personally reply a word (or two) of thanks to each and every one of you. My heart is SO thankful and blessed in knowing that I am loved, remembered and thought of.


While all of that was going on, I was up to my eyeballs with assignments. I dragged my feet to bed at 4am and was up by 7am. I was stuck in uni till 12.30pm and immediately after, I was on the way to meet with Tinki Talks for our (my FIRST ever) mani and pedi session.

A couple of hours and with pretty, cuticle-free nails to boot, wiggle and show off, I got home, dashed in for a quick shower and was out of the house in 30mins to attend Vision Casting night for the worship team at church. There was no better way to unwind after nights of minimal sleep. It was a true treat to spend my birthday in a House surrounded by people who love the Lord and are all gearing up for the one thing that I am most passionate about, worship.

Deelle and I met at 10pm at a nearby food joint, ordered our dinner and had our usual tete-a-tete. It was then when I could finally breathe, like a normal person should, after a clockwork day.

After we were done, she handed me my present with a card and in it was a handwritten note. At the end of it was a Post-Script: "Don't cry on this paper, words will smudge." She knows me, a little too well at times, but she's right; I would have shed tears if I was reading it alone in my bedroom instead of hers, with her eyeing my every move and twitch like a hawk.


Note #2: M'love, the bond that we have forged over the years, I think that the appropriate term for it is 'soul sisters'. You're better than Maccas' chips, red velvet cupcakes, pan mee and USJ9 banana leaf rice put together. All my love...


...............



Special note #3: To my parentals, Angeline, Tua Koo and Say Koo,
I have never doubted God in His choices for my life because He gave me His best when I was born: He placed me in your care. Thank you for making sure that your heart is a home that I am always welcomed into. I love all of you. 


Molten chocolate cake :: Sinfully luscious.


Special note #4: Ping, thank you for the cake earlier today, delivered right to my door step. You warmed my heart with your thoughtfulness and love. Hugs. 


Green tea cheesecake from Ritz Cake House, one of my go-to places for the best cakes on the island.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments