Keys to Life

By Melissa - Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I’ve recently turned 21, two days ago, to be precise.

It is a norm (I prepared myself for this), to be asked if I had received a pendant in the form of a key upon reaching age 21.

I had never liked the pendant or the look of it, since young. I’ve always thought that it looked odd (and ugly).

A friend of mine texted me on the very morning of my birthday and asked if I had received that particular gift. I coolly responded with, “I am not fond of it and specifically requested that my parents do not purchase that for me.”

Her response? “It’s very rare to find someone who doesn’t want the key, Mel.”

Rather true, I must admit. My other friends gave similar (if not paraphrased) replies.

I’ve finally began to understand over the years that gaining freedom based on laws or mores of society does not give the least bit of satisfaction or contentment.

Being able to waltz into bars without having to show any ID, purchasing booze legally and to carry out forbidden elements that were not permitted during childhood does not entail a person (me) to freedom.

My 21st birthday (according to worldly celebration customs) was supposed to be joyfully inebriated, entering a drunken stupor, karaoke and crawling to my door step, utterly wasted.

I did none of those, and I would have none of those.

My desire as of this year and for the rest of my days is the keys to His kingdom.

I want the keys to unlocking broken hearts into the fullness of Christ Jesus. I desire the key of intimacy with God. I want the keys that would enable me to release the presence of God, so much so that any person who has had that experience would be found totally abandoned to His presence.

Personally, I desire for my heart be held captive to the love of Christ and toss away the keys of my wants.

I realised freedom does not connote an absence of laws. Freedom never meant liberty to do the will of one’s heart.

I have found that freedom comes from a life that has been completely surrendered to Him.

Freedom at its’ fullest (in which contentment can be felt evidently) is a heart yearning to please Him, a heart that is passionately in love with the most Beautiful Saviour of all.

Above it all, I’ve understood and have it settled within me that the freedom in which I choose to dwell in, it NEVER means that I am losing out on anything.

I believe that in this freedom, I have found the keys to unleashing a fulfilled, contented life. One that I would look back through the passage of time and smile, without a single shred of regret.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments