Giving Your Best

By Melissa - Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My blogging days started when I signed up to Myspace (eons ago) and I was awakened to the wonders of blogging.

Never again did I have to scribble endlessly in my journals (I still do that, sometimes), but I am now able to share my thoughts, daily (deemed to be) interesting encounters and sightings as well as squeeze a few laughs from my readers every now and then.

I was looking through one of the entries I wrote several years ago and I thought it well to transfer the contents here.

*

"I was to worship lead for an upcoming event. I hurriedly whipped out my cell phone and texted my team members.

I received a msg from a friend (and team member) saying, "Well Mel, I'm really not that good in guitar playing but if you want me to play, I'm willing to give my best".

That struck me so deeply and I love the heart that he has. I responded with, "I view your talent secondary but your heart first. I'd love to serve with someone who has such a heart. See you on Saturday".

As I sat down and pondered, tears flowed freely. This clearly brings up memories of a younger me when my heart was so caught up worrying about my skills and talents rather than seeking God and giving Him my best.

I attended my 1st Planetshakers Conference in 2005 and my life was forever changed. I was prayed for and I remembered God clearly speaking to me saying, "Why are you so worried about what other people think of you? Why do you seek for their approval instead of MINE?"

I love how God chooses people to do His mission and His fieldwork.

The Bible has extensive examples of heroes of faith. They were never the ones that everyone was rooting for, the top of the cream, the best and most excellently skilled.

They were mere, ordinary people who said, 'Look God, this is what I have. If you're gonna use me, YOU will have to work through me'.

I only hope that we can have the hearts and attitudes of these incredible people.

They were made great because of their simple faith, trust and heart that they offered up to an extraordinary God. Thus, their lives were never the same again.

Therefore, don't get caught up in a same rut and path when serving.

Renew your heart, look for something new and fresh from God. Most importantly, have a heart that is ready and hungry for God to work upon.

Never, ever say something like, 'Without me, the team cannot function or I'm the best thing that has ever happened to the team'.

God can't work when your heart is hard as stone, filled with pride and self-glory.

Only with a broken and contrite heart can God work exploits, propelling and elevating you to heights you'd never imagine reaching."

*


P/S: This is one of those things that is so worth sharing. :)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments