The Cross

By Melissa - Monday, March 01, 2010

A friend of mine once tapped me on the shoulder, motioned for me to sit down and looked at me with an expression so serious that I was of the impression that something bad had taken place.

I eased myself into the chair, shifted till I found a comfortable position, and proceeded to ask her why (deep within, I was wishing pretty hard that she wouldn’t give me a coronary).

She looked at me (eyes STILL intense) and asked, “If you could sum up Christianity to its’ core, what would it be?”

I was taken aback, my eyes blinked repeatedly. I inhaled, took a deep breath as my mind sifted through its’ archives (from the days of Sunday School till this very day).

I sincerely contemplated on what to tell her.

The question was a simple one. The answer however, not quite. It would leave an intense impression, either one that is pleasing or damning. Ultimately, the answer that was coming out of my mouth will be a life-changing one.

Letting out a huge sigh, I finally knew what to tell her.

No frills, no blown-up facts, only the truth.

Christianity's essence is The Cross.

When I say The Cross, I am not referring to horizontal and vertical pieces of wood intersecting. I am not referring also to the emblem worn on the necks of Christians (or non-Christians, who claim it as a fashion statement).

The Cross is the culmination of the Old Testament, and the reason for the New Testament. The Cross is where the past and the future were bridged. The Cross is necessary for separation no longer. The Cross bears the legacy of the greatest act of love imaginable.

A cross has never gained reputation as a thing worthy of reverence and astounding awe. It is in fact one of the cruellest methods of torture and punishment known to man, till this day.

Why then would a cross be a catalyst that revolutionised humanity? Why would it also serve as Christianity’s core?

Here’s the thing - In itself, a cross is simply a structure consisting essentially of an upright and a transverse piece, upon which persons were formerly put to death.

It is The Cross because of the person that hung on it. It is The Cross because the person CHOSE to hang on it. That person’s name is Jesus Christ.

Before He was nailed to the cross, a crown of thorns was shoved onto His temple. He was savagely and brutally whipped. Flesh hanging off his back, His back was placed upon the cross where nails were driven through His palms and feet. The weight of His entire body was suspended by those nails.

After 6 excruciating hours, His eyes parade over the myriad of faces across the globe. He looked into every single one of their (our) faces, zeroed in on our eyeballs and said, “I’m doing this, for YOU because I love YOU.” He commended His spirit to God and breathed His last.

But, here’s the most awesome thing. The story doesn’t end there!

Three days later, Jesus took death by its horns and conquered it. He won!

Allow me to continue.

It is The Cross because it bridged the gap between man and God, it sealed the separating paths. It is The Cross because it unlatched the presence of God, making it now accessible to ALL, so much so that a physical altar is no longer necessary for it is in our very hearts that He resides.

THIS is the thing that has continually left me awestruck, amazed and found in tears – It was us (you and me) that put Jesus on that cross. He took it on OUR behalf, FOR us while He was blameless. He was never at fault.

It is truly unimaginable love. It is love undeserved.

I was not always faithfully grateful. There were times where I have defiled and deliberately chose to disobey Him. And, there are going to be times where that might take place again.

He KNEW of this, entirely in advance. Yet, He STILL chose to do it. For me. For you. For this world. For this planet. For this universe.

At this point of time (while sharing with my friend), I could hold it in no longer. Tears streamed down my cheeks.

Right now, as I’m writing this, I can feel my cheeks getting hot and tears welling in my eyes.

Max Lucado affirms and nods in agreement. He wrote in his book, “You can’t go to The Cross with just your head and not your heart. It doesn’t work that way. Calvary is not a mental trip. It’s not an intellectual exercise. It’s not a divine calculation or a cold theological principle. It’s a heart-splitting hour of emotion.

How can any person walk away from The Cross dry-eyed and unaffected? How can any person get so familiarised with The Cross that the wonder ceases? How can any person think of The Cross and not be profusely in awe of it? How is it possible for any person to hear and know of The Cross yet choose to not let it touch him/her?

My mouth dry from talking and my throat parched (not forgetting the tears shed), my gaze pierced into my friend’s.

I said, “That is Christianity at its’ core. The Cross.”

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments