Striking A Balance

By Melissa - Tuesday, January 19, 2010

An apt title, for one of the things in life that I strive for.

As a friend first then a leader (it doesn’t matter where), I am always compelled to be a teacher and a student, a mentor and a confidant, a listener and an adviser.

And, to strike that perfect balance, maintaining harmony between two equally important elements; while I’m at it.

Honestly put, I struggle with this, all the time.

On the one hand, I’d like to be caring, compassionate and considerate. On the other hand, I need to endorse on my role as a leader, to be firm and correcting.

Frequently enough, that person is usually in need of a rude awakening and a wake-up call to the reality of life (or the commandments of God).

Most of the time, I will speak the truth (and to be as tactful as possible), even if it tears me apart to mention it out loud.

In the past, there had been instances where I chose to repress, keep silent on what was supposed to be corrected and made right.

The outcome was less than pleasing, and I blamed myself (no longer though) for it. As, there will be a voice at the back of my head reminding me that I could have at the very least, prevented a less severe consequence.

Many a time, those who have been at the receiving end might be of the impression that it seems so natural and effortless on my end.

Know this, it truly took a lot of me to do what I did, for those words and advices to be uttered.

When I released those words from my mouth, it is never meant to be a judgement slapped across the face or a branding for the deeds done.

I am probably one of the very few people that you can come to, expecting no less than complete honesty and have nothing else in my heart but the best for you.

Even more so, remember this: I love all of you very much, and I would not have said (even if it is not honeyed and pleasing to the ears 99% of the time) it if not because.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments