Thoughts on Life and Death

By Melissa - Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I woke up this morning, sat up and spent a good 30 minutes pondering on life and death.

There is something sobering about how life and death works. I find it disturbing, intricate and interesting all as one.

Life in itself is rich. The opportunity to live life, to wake up every morning and waft in the scent of a brand new day is incredibly fulfilling.

Yet, I am frequently plagued with the truth that where I am today, it will not be this way for eternity. It is not meant to last till the end of time. It is not a place where I am commissioned to live forever.

In death, there is sorrow, heartache and a deep sense of loss. In every death, there is mourning. However, in situations like that, I can attest to the comfort of God upon my grieving heart and settle in the promise that that person is dancing in the arms of my Heavenly Daddy.

Today, it struck a chord deep within me. My time here is short, life is whiling away. There is an urgency in my spirit, the time is now.

The hour has arrived, the clock is ticking and there is so much to do. We all have so much to do.

With that, I am so challenged to sow into everlasting purposes. To not get caught up with temporal treasures and be lulled into earthly pleasures.

Instead, have abiding causes for my Loved One and to carry an interminable mandate: To be a radical believer for Him and be an ambassador of His love.

CS Lewis summed up my heart by saying this,

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. If none of my earthly pleasures satisfy it, that does not prove that the universe is a fraud. Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy it, but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing."

I long for the real thing (as CS Lewis puts it). I often wonder of how magnificent the sights, how glorious the presence.

Till then, whilst I am here, there is much to do.

The race has begun.

I am in it, you are in it and I pray that it will be your heartbeat to finish strong; keeping your faith.

For Him,
M.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments