The Beauty Of Ageing

By Melissa - Wednesday, October 07, 2009

I am not particularly fond of ageing. Very not fond of it, to be honest.

I am already in the second decade of my life, and my adolescent acne is not clearing up. It is getting a little better; going through a calmer patch, but not altogether gone.

When I peer into the mirror, I see lines forming at the bottom of my eyes, coupled with dark circles and eyebags (credit goes to my religious late nights).

Those visible-only-in-a-close-up lines are like premature stalactites. Give it another 10-15 years or so and they will mature to a full-fledged, highly visible (even from afar) crow's feet.

Don't get me started on jiggly thighs, love handles, ghastly cellulite and bulging veins on my hands and feet.

As much as I try to slow down the process (this is where the eye cream, rigorous DAILY exercise and healthy food intake comes in), ultimately I am getting old.

Counteracting ageing requires a lot of discipline, and positive outlook.

Most importantly however, the revelation has to dawn on you (me) that you (I) are not able to erase ageing.

I am all for looking your best, at all times, at whatever age you are.

But, I believe more in embracing life and loving yourself for who you are on the inside.

"Those lines and scars are beautiful," says make-up maven Bobbi Brown.

There is nothing chic and hip about a 40 or 50 year old dressing like a teenager, behaving like one, slapping on theatrical, four-inch thick make-up or being a Botox Barbie.

What it does is it highlights insecurities. What it does not do is make one look more attractive.

To send some shocking, reality check waves into the system, it comes (to me, at least) as an abysmal attempt to turn an old hag into a Cinderella once again.

The attempt is an epic failure, needless to say. (Cinderella's fairy godmother only managed to transform her outfit, not her features or take some years off her face.)

I may be from a prehistoric era, but I am not a paladin of assets' augmentations, facial alteration (disfigurement, in my opinion) and those bunch of rigamarole.

For what it's worth, those lines are well-deserved by one as it can only come with age.

I look at them as a lifetime achievement; where you would have to go through the ups and downs of life before you are granted with your mark of maturity and stamp of approval.

Looking at my reflection in the mirror once again, I am beginning to fall in love (all over again) with what I see.


Related post:

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

8 comments