Darling Cheesecake, Sweet Papadom

By Melissa - Wednesday, August 15, 2012

After several months of hiatus from the blogging world, I am reminded of this article I wrote as my second creative and feature writing assignment.

My memory was reeled back to this profile essay as I note down snippets of my message for this Saturday's Youth Impact service.

Read up, stay healthy and blessed, and I'll catch up with you, dear readers, real soon...


--------------- 


            A shrill alert tone reverberates in a quiet room and she picks up her phone. Some ten seconds later, she smiles - shining eyes, giddy-headed and glowing face - and shows me the text. It read, "Goodnight, darling cheesecake. Hugs and kisses. I love you very much."
 
             The same scene takes place again a couple of nights later down the week. She pushes the phone to me and motions for me to read the message on the screen. This time around, it read, "Hello my sweet papadom. Yeah, I love you lots too. Get a good rest."
 
            I realized her reason for being head over heels in love with the man. It made me smile just as wide reading them. But, she tells me that there is more to him than those texts. Before the end of that sentence, I was already sold. I wanted to get to know the man behind the 'darling cheesecake' and 'sweet papadom' texts. 

            She found a comfortable spot, shifts herself in her seat and gestures for me to do the same.

            She smiles before she even began saying anything. She starts off by telling me how they met, 23 years ago. He was 30 then. 

            She was born and raised in Penang, he wasn't. He was born in Sungkai, Perak. From the stories she heard from his parents about him, he was a mischievous and rambunctious young lad; full of energy and zest for life. His family reared chickens to ease the household expenses and he adored heading to the pen in the backyard and teased the chicks endlessly. He grew up like any other boy; adventurous, curious and ready to take on the world. He did well in school, with a belief for excellence in everything; a principle that he lives up to and carries with him even till this very day. 

            In school, Mathematics and English were his favourite subjects and rightfully so. His mind was quick to comprehend formulas and adept at problem solving, thus making Maths a dear friend - one that stimulates his mind and feeds his inquisitive nature. However, his analytical mind is impeccably balanced with a flair for language. She chuckles as she regales a conversation she had with him several months back. "Have you been watching Pride and Prejudice every single night for seven nights in a row? You, sir, have got issues!", she mockingly chastised him. His response to her was a quick "Zip it"; brows furrowed to create an impression of being not amused but his lips couldn't hide his smile. In spite of his gruff demeanor, he has a soft spot for romance. It is seen in the authors whom he names as his favourites. They are Jane Austen and Sidney Sheldon, both accomplished and renowned storytellers of love and romance. 

            With that in mind, I presumably judged that he was also quite the Romeo. Not at all, she replies. She directed me towards the only woman in this world that he calls "Dear" and repeats my statement to her. The cherubic-faced woman laughs heartily. "He is not at all romantic in person. I wished he wrote me letters melted me to putty. It would have made our road to the altar a lot faster", she shares with me. What the love of his life shared with me that afternoon confirmed what I observed about him. She informs me that he is a man of few words in person, who speaks only when necessary. A wise man, who sees purpose in all things and who thrives in gleaning off lessons from what Life brings to his path. She adds, "He may not be the most romantic person on the face of this earth, but I thank God for giving me him. Above being the man of his home, he embeds in my heart emotional security and that is the best gift any man can bestow on a woman."
 
            I turned to the familiar face and smiled. A man who knew how to treat a woman right. A man who was a one-woman man. A man who is truly a man of his word, for when he uttered those five words "till death do us part", it was a vow that he intended to keep for the rest of his days. His dear wife was right. 

            The lass wasn't done. She brought me for an audience with his friends, KS* and MS*, of whom have more than 20 years of friendship with him under their belt. The three of them were pioneers of Tabernacle of Praise (TOP), a church they are rooted in. 

            By the time I met the hospitable and generous couple over lunch, I already knew of his religious beliefs. He is a passionate Christian who loves the Lord with all his heart. 

            They shared with me of the early days of pioneering where there were only a handful of people. They opened up about how he ferried people who were in need of transport on his beloved motorcycle and when he could afford a car, he continued to do the same; the only difference was more people could fit in this time. He believed in faithfulness and giving his best. It's the only way he knows how to go about life and when it came to the things of God, the same rule of thumb was applied. 

            He loves playing the guitar (it is seen in the number of guitars he owns - he acquired two very pricey Taylor acoustic guitars as a treat to himself) and discovered that he could sing under the mentoring of the Pastor of the church then, Pr. Vincent Leoh. He took up the invitation to lead worship for Sunday Services and have not stopped since then. KS* jokes that the both of them were both scrawny and extremely slim when they first knew each other but unlike him, Sweet Papadom guy grew to a sizeable proportion. He pauses for a bit and then mentions with conviction and certainty, "I have known him for more than 20 years and have served our God with him for almost as long. He is a man who truly loves the Lord." 

            The girl who shared her texts with me and myself, we took a little stroll after the long day. It was exhausting but from all the stories, quips and anecdotes, we realised that we both knew the man behind the texts on a deeper level than before. There were no words needed but when our eyes met, we both knew what the other was thinking, "What a man. What a life lived. To its fullest."

            After awhile, she had a faraway look in her eyes and when I turned to face her again, there were tears in her eyes. I looked at her quizzically. She reaches up to her damp cheeks and wipes off the pearl-shaped tears. 

            "About two weeks prior to leaving home, I was feel incredibly emotional. Fear started setting in. Worry was going on full force. I was reluctant to leave the comfort of my home," she reveals. He took me into his arms, folded me in his embrace and said this to me, "Melissa, we’ve prayed about this and this is God’s leading for your life. I love you very much, but I know that our Heavenly Father, your Father up in heaven loves you so much more, more than my love can ever be for you."

            Tears were pooling in my eyes as she recounted her story. It was all starting to sound very familiar. 

            I looked up and into a mirror and I saw her staring right back at me. I dabbed the gentle trickle down my face and she does the same. I held an identical phone to hers. I drew the phone closer to my face and read what was on the screen. It said, ""Hello my sweet papadom. Yeah, I love you lots too. Get a good rest."
 
            I inched my finger away from the screen. On it was, "Message sent by: Daddy".


---------------


*Names have been abbreviated to protect privacy.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments