Classic Tale of A Chicken Thigh

By Melissa - Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Because of my newfound holidays, I have found myself with pretty much nothing to do.

I needed to do something, enrich my time.

I was talking to a college acquaintance and he mentioned about me dying of boredom due to my extended holidays. I refused to admit it in the beginning, to bask in the glory of having gained extra-holidays.

There is only so much you can do at home: Watching Seasons 1, 2 and 3 of Bones (I do not watch this just because David Boreanaz stars in it but in actuality, the content of this show makes perfect sense to me. I have a healthy balance of affection for both science and arts.), reading (I need to get more Sidney Sheldon and John Grisham novels.), surfing the Net and playing with Max.

As much as I hate to admit it, I was getting bored.

So yesterday, I decided to do mankind (read: TWO of my closest friends in college) a turn of goodwill. So, I made some roast chicken to go along with the potato salad which I saved up for them.

:: For the record, I sacrificed my sleep for the both of you. I could easily sleep well into mid-day with covers drawn to my chin in my warm bed, to make up for my staying up late. To wake up early to perform such a task demanded real love and sacrifice. ::

The items were placed in a paper bag and I drove to college.

I met up with ONE of my friends at the library. As the library, all libraries in fact, restricted the bringing of food inside, I left the bag outside in the storage compartment.

I then walked in to where she was sitting.

Overcome with curiosity and sudden courage, she decided to sneak the bag containing (MY) food past the watchful eye of a very sallow-faced librarian.

All goes well, she managed to pass through the barricade and was declared clear from security check when a loud 'Plop' resounded.

In my mind, I could decipher what happened.

I slowly turned my head and it's true, she had dropped the succulent chicken thigh I so lovingly made, on the library carpet.

All eyes were focused on her as she crouched down to pick up the dropped treasure.

I found the whole scenario highly amusing after the furor died down. And thankfully, after much threatening and beratement from me, she ATE the chicken (There is this 10second rule in which the food drops on the floor no less than that period of time, it is considered safe to partake of it.).

I quote the review she gave on both items, 'horrendously delicious'.

I don't see the significance of using the adjective 'horrendous' to describe it but with 'delicious' following suit, I am guessing she likes it, even if it was tinged with a little library carpet flavour.


P/S: Debra, I'm sorry honey. I had to post this up. It was really funny, thinking and reflecting on it. For all its' worth, I am glad to have spent some time with you yesterday. Ditto to Mi-Chelle. :)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments