A New Season

By Melissa - Friday, March 01, 2013

As I am writing this, I am digesting all that had taken place and developed over this past one and a half weeks.

Everything had moved at a pace that was so swift that it felt faster than grains of sand slipping through my fingers. I realized that if I didn’t (intentionally) take some time to sit down, process and journal snippets of it, all of it will fade with Time and when I muse over it a couple of years down the road, I wouldn’t know how far I’ve come.

The initial plan was to stay on in KL and begin my career there. I never imagined moving back to Penang after living on my own for two years. I wanted to be away for a little longer, to pursue my dream of being a writer and live in a city.

However, ever since the first day of my internship commenced, my prayer was and has always been this: “Heavenly Father, open only ONE door for me. I don’t know what the future holds for me, but my will I entrust to you. Confirm Your plans for my life with this. Amen.”

In the mean time, I sent out my resume to various organizations (in both places) and juggled some freelance work on the side.

Four weeks after I returned to the island, I received information of an opening in a reputable company and known brand, and along with that information, a phone number was attached. I made a call, emailed my resume and the very next day, was called upon for an interview. That was last Wednesday. The day after, the interviewer (now, my manager) rang me up to inform me that an employment package was already confirmed and sketched the necessary details out. On Friday, HR called to ask if I would be able to begin working on Monday itself. As I was conversing with the HR personnel, I was en route to KL to pack up my room (the day was planned months ahead before I had any inkling of where I would be settling down at) as my room tenancy was up by the end of February.

The timing couldn’t have been more impeccable and I would be completely ignorant if I fail to see His hand at work, setting things in order for my life.

But, as I packed my things, loaded them into the car and cleaned up my room (my home, safe haven and personal sanctuary) for the past two years, I couldn’t help but feel incredibly wistful.

I took lengthy showers in my attached bathroom and stood beneath the showerhead for a long time; letting the water soak my body from head to toe and wash away the silent tears that flowed freely from my eyes; coming to terms with the inescapable fact that one season had passed and a new season is well on the way for me.

It is still the early days and I dearly miss my life in KL for now, even the traffic madness as much as I loathed it (Driving a stick and being caught in traffic at the Federal Highway for 2.5 hours is definitely not for the fainthearted.).

What I am doing right now and will be doing is never what I imagined myself doing a year ago.

Instead of stories and columns, I now write copies and press releases. Instead of building connections and bridging rapports at media events, I will most probably be doing presentations in front of clients. Instead of being desk-bound and laptop facing, I may have to travel for business.

A new season, truly.

But, as it is every season – in and out of season, He is still God; forever is and will be assuredly good, eternally faithful.

And with that, my heart summons up Hope (in His promises) and overflows with thanksgiving for this new season.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments