Spell Check, Anyone?

By Melissa - Friday, January 04, 2013

I'm big on spelling. Very much so.

I wince (mentally) and do corrections (again, mentally) when I see errors. I can't help myself (Hey, at least, I am gracious enough to not point it out to your face :p).

Unfortunately, the English language is not always fairly simple and forthright - There are words that are not spelled the way they are spoken, even if they were enunciated properly (and slowly).

Take 'rendezvous', for example.

Most people would pronounce it as it is: ran - des - wuss.


*buzzer sound effect*


It is pronounced as rahn - they - woo. Why? Because, the word is of French origin, and nothing in French is pronounced as it is written.

So after 23 years, I have met my fair share of people who base their pronunciations on how a word is spelled, or spell the word as it is pronounced.

First year of secondary school and I discovered that I had a classmate named Kylie. The school bell rang, I made a run for the door and headed straight for the last row of school bus that was taking me home. A little while later, my friend set her bag down and I told her that I had a classmate with Kylie for a name and her parents must have named her after the famous Australian pop singer. My friend's response? 


"Oh yeah... You mean Kylie Me - Know - Gay?"


I didn't know if I should have laughed gaily or banged my head on the headboard in front of me. (I think I did both.)

But yes, spelling matters to me. Pronunciation, too. A great deal, if I might add.

.

.

.

.

.


And, when you combine both spelling and pronunciation errors, it'll come to something like *this*


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments