A Smile, From The Heart

By Melissa - Monday, February 22, 2010

There are many things in life that puts a smile on my face.

I am easily amused. I laugh way too easily, at almost anything. Which is why to date, I have not been successful in pulling off a crank call on someone. The very second that person picks up the phone, I’d guffaw and my cover would have been blown.

But, the simple things in life never fail to draw up a smile on my face. The deep hearty laugh of a child being tickled, the smell of morning dew on grass, iced lollies, watching Max bounce off to chase his bone during a game of Fetch... The list goes on.

However, I have found that nothing brings more joy to my heart than the Word of God.

Less than 5 days ago, I received devastating news of two relatives passing away. At the time when the news was conveyed, I was vacationing on the beautiful beaches of Thailand.

Needless to say, my vacation ended with a bittersweet note.

I was being selfish, requiring a grand finale to my holiday. Simultaneously though, my heart was filled with grief.

I did not like dealing with death. There is something very unreal about death, it is greatly depressing as it is sobering.

When it pays a visit to your doorstep, the reality of how short life is hits you hard. It hit me hard.

I didn’t like being reminded of this, but what is life but a vapour. Here today, gone tomorrow. A fleeting moment, brief as a candle.

This is a blemish on life’s complexion that I do not wish for. Thing is, life’s complexion isn’t flawless. It never will be.

As I flipped through the thin, delicate pages of my Bible, my soul is calmed, at peace and filled with contentment.

I remember sharing this before, about the passing of both my grandpa-s. The grief seemed too much to bear, to the point that it overwhelmed me.

During those moments, I have literally felt the comforting arms of God cradling me.

I read this yesterday in one of Paul’s epistles to the Romans and it is absolutely beautiful.

“And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow - not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below- Indeed, nothing in ALL creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Romans 8:38-39 (New Living Translation - Emphasis added)


The love of God that surpasses our natural understanding is the answer. The grace of God is the answer.

And that, that awesome promise, is the very thing that fires up my heart, coasts through my veins and curves my lips into a smile. A knowing smile, an assured smile.

A smile radiating from my heart.


P/S: Max would like to add by saying that he is one of the reasons why his Mumma smiles and laughs all the time.



That cute face would do that to just about anyone.

*

Related post(s):

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments