2017 - My Best Year, Yet

By Melissa - Thursday, December 28, 2017


The year has been far from perfect, but it is (to date) the best year I’ve had in a long time.

The leap of faith I boldly took at the end of last year led me on a journey from fearful to fearless this year. What made the year exceptional isn’t imputed to the happenstances; amazing as they were, were only icing on the cake. Rather, it was the choice I made from the onset of the year - to come back to me, for me, and not anyone else.

It may sound romanticised and pollyannaish, but I assure you, it took more courage than anything else I’ve ever done. Because, for the first time in forever, I sought to put myself first - my dreams, my heart, my soul.

I discovered that a few practical decisions tremendously changed the way I journeyed, for the better. Like all good things, they are meant to be shared. Here’s hoping that in one way or another, they might help you too.

1. Learn to embrace every season.

Choose to see the good in every day, regardless of what the day was like.

It is a conscious decision to find joy in the midst of deadlines, drama, and daily duties. It is a pledged commitment to choose to keep that joy when days are long, gritty, and hard.

It didn’t take me long to realise that having an attitude of gratitude in any circumstance is what changes the circumstance.


2. Have a daily ‘Me’ time

This is directly linked to #1. Often times, we miss out on the wins (however small they might seem to be) in life because we are always caught in a flurry of things. There will always be something which needs your attention - a WhatsApp message, an email, a phone call, a Facebook notification, so on and so forth.

In your busy-ness, remember you. You are important. You are not defined by what you do. Most importantly, you only have one soul - stop to listen to it, be kind to it, love it well.

I was resolute in having a daily ‘Me’ time, so I resorted to switching off my phone at an allotted time and in that silence, I journaled. It soon became one of my most cherished parts of the day.


3. Know when to hold on, and when to let go.  

How He has enlarged my heart to have radical faith in Him is one of His most precious gifts to me in this season. In my walk with Him, I've inexplicably learned to hold on to faith, and to let go in faith; knowing full well that He will work all things out together for good for those who love Him.


4. Release yourself from ‘their’ expectations.

Their = Society, your circle of friends, a curious relative who loves to boast about his poster child, the aunty across the road, and at times, your parents.

It’s amazing how some people function - thinking it’s acceptable to send me a barrage of questions for the purposes of prying my life apart (which apparently makes good gossip material) and expect a full report on it from me. Unbelievable.

Know that “No” is a complete answer, and no explanation is owed regarding your personal or professional life choices to any person, other than God.


5. Build your life, inside out.

Create a life that feels good on the inside, instead of a life that looks good on the outside.

The admiration (or envy) of others will do nothing in making you feel good. Life is good when you feel good about it.

Coming to terms with the truth that I do not require validation from anyone else, except my Saviour’s, was enormously freeing. It changed how I did life, for the better.


6. Be intentional.

One of my greatest takeaways from high school is my alma mater’s motto, Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam, Latin for if there is a will, there is always a way.

Now, years later, the line I grudgingly recited and sang every Monday at assembly became a banner over my life.

I discovered the power of intent when I was on a month’s break from a full-time job. My days were without a rigid schedule; which meant that I had the luxury of meandering and doing absolutely nothing, or pick up passion projects and immerse in them. I chose the latter and I couldn’t be more thankful for my decision.

Look at the words of King Solomon, the wisest man who ever lived:

"Whatever turns up, grab it, and do it. And, heartily!"

(Ecclesiastes 9:10, The Message)

Because of it, I embarked on a journey to my most fulfilling season in life (thus far). More on that in #7.


7. Do what you love, love what you do.

I am a firm believer in having a job that fills your pockets, and taking on passion projects that fill your soul. It takes both to produce a well-rounded, wholesome individual with a healthy outlook on life.

As someone who considers herself as a creative person (with a 1.5 year stint in the ad industry), but also has bills to pay, I know I can't realistically abandon my 9-7 job in order to write full-time right now, even though writing is something I love.

So, I did the next best thing - I made it happen by doing what I love after hours.

I poured myself into creating and crafting when I got home, on weekends, whenever there was any free time. And, it paid off. My little space is one of my proudest achievements, and I haven’t looked back since. From writing and photographing my own travel pieces, to designing artworks, and editing a book (!!!), all while giving 200% to my career, this year has been one which has creatively stretched me beyond my wildest dreams, and I’ve loved every moment of it.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments