Travel Log - Chiang Rai (Feb 2017)

By Melissa - Saturday, March 04, 2017


After Googling up Chiang Rai, I made it my life’s mission to visit the northernmost city in Thailand. For one reason. I wanted to catch a glimpse of the wild Himalayan cherry blossoms. 

Alright, maybe two reasons. I also wanted to feast my eyes on the stunning Wat Rong Khun, otherwise known The White Temple. 

Throughout my time in Northern Thailand, the temperatures were a frigid 18°C in the mornings, a sunny-but-windy 30°C by mid-day, plummeting to chilly 20°C by nightfall. When I packed for this trip, I adopted a more laissez-faire attitude and brilliantly decided to brave the weather, forgoing a jacket or any long-sleeved clothing. 

Which I regretted immediately, as soon as I stepped out of the airport.  

Which I regretted even more when I had to endure a 1.5 hour drive to the elephant sanctuary in the back of a truck; teeth chattering, goosebumps peppering my skin, knocking knees. 

Which I regretted the most the second I reached Chiang Rai, when the wintry blast of cold air hit me. 

• So, what does one do when gallant bravery is, in actuality, outright foolishness? You jump around a lot. You cuddle yourself a little tighter. And, you head over to the Boon Rawd Farm to sip a cup of hot tea.

View from where we sat, with tea terraces in the distance. 



A colonnade of summery yellow bulbs in the humongous park.






• One of the most unique and visually striking temples ever conceived in Thailand, the Wat Rong Khun had me gaping in awe at its beauty and intricate detailing. The gleaming white exterior of the temple is further enhanced with the use of glass and reflective nature of water.









Works in progress.

• We popped in to a restaurant housed within a colonial mansion by the Ping River for lunch. The venue was elegant, the food was to-die-for and the company was my absolute favourite. 





Clockwise from top to bottom:

FRIED PORK KNUCKLE
A meaty pork knuckle, fried to crackling perfection - Crunchy skin, tender meat.

SALMON SASHIMI with THAI DRESSING
Freshly cut salmon sashimi, drizzled liberally with a refreshing spicy-sour dressing of lime, chilli and mint.

KAENG HANG LEI
Burmese Pork Curry - Pork neck, divinely stewed in ginger, tamarind, turmeric and garlic.

• We (my travel partner) and I decided to go on a road trip, instead of getting on a domestic flight. Chiang Rai is located 200 kilometres north of Chiang Mai, which took us a little over three hours to reach.

I knew the view would be somewhat scenic, but describing it as such after a vis-a-vis encounter would mean that I have failed as a writer. It was breathtakingly beautiful. Dramatic, even. The scenery floored me and we pulled up to the side several times, just to take it all in.



• I GOT TO SEE CHERRY BLOSSOMS!!!

My trip happened during the tail-end of the blooming season (best time to visit would be from end of December till mid January), so I was told not to have my hopes up. Which I had a difficult time doing.

We were 50 kilometres away from the city, and 1500 metres above sea level. Which simply meant, the weather and I weren't the best of friends at that moment.

Then again, trivialities.

None of it mattered because I squealed with delight and leapt out of the car as soon as I laid eyes on the delicate blossoms at Doi Chang.











• Chiang Rai sent us home with the loveliest sunset, whispering a dulcet as old as time, See you again. Oh darling, you most definitely will. 



*

Related post:

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments