Whatever You Do, NEVER Fall On Your Chest

By Melissa - Sunday, October 09, 2016



Because when you do, chances are:

1. You’ll get bruised / fractured / broken ribs.
2. You’ll suffer for all of eternity.

How did this happen? Does it hurt that bad? Really, for ALL of eternity?

Calm down. All will be answered, in just a moment.

First, you need context.

So, it was the first day of my solo travel adventure and it was marvellous. I touched down, checked in, changed, then headed straight for Borobudur and scaled it twice. On the way back, I had the best piece of fried chicken I’ve ever had in my life, then walked back to my hotel in a futile attempt to shave off some calories and sank gratefully when the door behind me was closed.

My bathroom was spacious, with a huge tub and an attached rain shower above it. I shucked off my sweaty clothes and took a long, warm shower. It was the perfect ending to an amazing day.

Just as I was about to step out of the shower, before I could pull the shower curtain to the side, I slipped and tripped on the soaking wet curtain. It happened so fast; I had no time to break my fall and next thing I know, my chest hit the edge of the tub in a sickening crunch.

Now, being the colossal klutz that I am, I have had my share of falls in my lifetime. My badges of honour include a twice-fractured toe (same toe, different occasion - genius, I know), falling from wobbly stacked chairs in an attempt to retrieve the TV remote (my love affair with the telly was disastrous, as you can tell) and telltale scars at various parts of my body. Lest we forget, I am also a woman who has to bear the monthly reckoning of her uterus wall expelling itself.

Yet, till this day, I have never experienced a more excruciating pain than this one.

I was in agony and I was completely alone in a foreign land.

My arsenal of meds did not include anti-inflammatory pills or pain killers. I Googled my symptoms and was informed that I would most likely die from a punctured lung (Thanks a lot, Google!).

What did I decide to do? I slept it off and went zip lining the next day.

When I arrived on Malaysian soil, I dashed off to the doctor’s, only to be told that:

1. I had indeed bruised my ribs.
2. Ride it out and let nature take its course.

1.5 weeks later.....

Every cough, sneeze and laugh is a searing reminder of my clumsy fall.
For the past week, I got out of bed at a glacial pace because any swift movement would aggravate the pain.


----------


Moral of the story: Whatever you do, never, ever fall on your chest. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments